“Development means changes in desired direction and as a desired speed.”
“Development means remove the inequalities among the person, region and state.”
Factor Controlling/Affecting Development
- Physical Resources:
- There is a positive relationship between quality, diversity, quality of resources, and regional variation in the level of development.
- The region which has full of resources they have greater potential to develop. e.g. U.S.A, Russia.
- Technology refers to the quality upgradation of both goods and services.
- There is a positive relationship between the level of development and technological advancement.
- Western countries are very advanced in technology so they are considered developed countries.
3. Social Structure
- The social organization and social institution in society both impact upon development.
- ‘Ethnic tension’ is said a negative correlation with the economic health of a region.
- The area having strong urban-rural linkages has a higher level of development as a positive correlation.
4. Economic Structure:
- The economic structure of a region in terms of the share of the primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary sectors of the economy is concerned with development.
- The higher the share of the primary sector in a regional economy, the lower is its grip implying a negative correlation between the two.
- The regions in which a large number of people engage in non-primary activities are concerned in the developed regions because their grip is high.
5. Political Setup:
- Political set up of region in terms of degree concentration/decentralization of power and its expression in the form of monarchy, feudalism, capitalism, democracy, etc.
- It is said that per capita GNP has a strong correlation with the nature of the political organization of the region.
- e.g – A strong positive correlation between per capita GNP and the degree of a democratic institution. The negative correlation between the per capita GNP and the degree of dictatorial tendencies.